I am trying to hang a TV mount into the wall studs higher up a fireplace. The hex cap screws that came with the mount don't fit snugly into the 7/16" nut driver bit and are too big for the 3/viii" fleck. There is no way I can employ a manual hex caput screwdriver to get these things into the wall. I need to use my drill.

Did I buy the correct attachment to use my drill to become these screws into the stud? Or, is it possible the hex cap screws that came with the mount are not "to industry standard measurement." BTW - I took a ruler to the hex cap and certain plenty, it measures iii/8".

Where am I going wrong?

asked Aug 25, 2022 at 21:30

seven

  • Maybe they are metric sized hex heads? 3/8" is between half-dozen and 7 mm, and seven/16" is between 5 and 6 mm. I suspect you demand a 6 mm nut driver.

    Aug 25, 2022 at 22:22

  • @wallyk Almost all Television receiver mounts apply metric sizes (possibly because the bolts into the TV are standardized for metric). wallyk is probably right.

    Aug 26, 2022 at xi:44

  • Side note: When driving lag screws for television receiver mounts, I oftentimes observe that a ratcheting socket wrench is the best tool for the task. A nut driver only does not offer enough torque. A portable drill motor can also lack the required power for the chore, though a drill motor with a impact characteristic often works a bit better.

    Aug 26, 2022 at 12:48

  • @Tester101 Agreed on socket wrench, though if you desire to go the ability tool way, an affect driver is the correct tool. While I guess it might be possible with a hammer drill, it's probably due to brute force equally hammer drills drive the flake forwards, and I'd be worried that it makes the screw loose around the threads more than annihilation. Impact drivers apply additional torque, which is what's needed hither.

    Aug 26, 2022 at 14:09

  • @gregmac I didn't mean to imply using a hammer drill. My drill motor has an optional "hammer" feature, that can be engaged and disengaged. This feature mimics an affect driver, calculation a smack in the management of rotation.

    Aug 26, 2022 at fourteen:sixteen

1 Answer one

The DeWalt nut drivers (and others likewise) are very shallow (only meant for driving sheet metal screws (and are magnetic).

As suggested, regular sockets with a rachet handle will cover the hex caput and not be pushed-off by the cap head.

Yous tin go a socket adapter for your bear on driver and then use your regular sockets: enter image description here

answered Aug 26, 2022 at 22:20

Not the reply y'all're looking for? Scan other questions tagged walls tools studs or ask your own question.